Saturday, May 17, 2014

Breaking Free

It started out as just any other Thursday morning. Though it was only over a month since I started my life as a "married" woman, I had quickly settled down into a perfect morning routine - wake up early, take bath, help mom(in law) in kitchen, pack lunch for my husband and me before scrambling off to catch my early cab to office. I like the routine;On usual 'Oh-hell!Its just-another-work-day's, the morning rush to get things done gets me attuned to the restless pace at which the rest of my day goes by.

However, this day was a little different. I was just out of the shower when the power went out. Though a ceiling fan is no respite from the grueling hot summer in Bangalore, the constant whirring of one has become a must in every home, and ours was no exception. Now that it was no longer whirring, an unsettling silence had befallen the house.

For a moment, the buzz in my mind had stopped too. Not knowing what else to do, I decided to pull down the blinds in the balcony to allow some light into the room. As I did it, I watched R~ turn in his bed, mumbling some techie mumbo - jumbo in his sleep. At times, I felt jealous of him ; I wish I had something that I could eat, breathe and sleep. Being a typical Piscean, I'm constantly on lookout for new, warmer waters. "Will I ever have that one thing in life?" I wondered. "For now, you still have the routine to stick to" I reminded myself sadly and started out the door.

That's when I heard it, the sweetest sound of dawn - A bird chirping :) It sounded so ineffably beautiful! I just stood there hearing the bird's cry as my heart rose, breaking free, from unrelenting routines, the ever familiar waters and soared higher and higher, into the jubilant unknown. Shakespeare explains it perfectly when he says, 
"Like to the lark at break of day arising,
 From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate" (Sonnet 29). 
That moment I realized, that sometimes its good to break free from your routine and take a look at life around you. If routines set your life's pace, a new dawn ushers a fresh beginning into it. As for the rest of that day, my head was no longer buzzing, all I could hear was chirrup chirrup :)

4 comments: